When I was a kid, I remember desperately wanting to attend weddings. I never quite got the chance to, till I was in 8th grade. Surprising, isn't it? Well, I was one of those NRI kids who came to India every once in two years for two months. Much as I would've loved to attend any of my relatives weddings, I could not possibly insist that they wait till I get to India the next time. What I was left with, was loads of wedding photo albums and cassettes to pour over during my summer hols. And I'd be lying if I said that I did not feel a teeny-weeny bit sad that I could never wear one of those pretty pink/white lacy dresses my cousins wore with cute bouquets in their hands, happily smiling, standing beside the married couple while the photographer clicked away. *sigh*.
Anyway, now that I've grown up(or so I think!!), I still love weddings, but not of relatives. Its nothing to do with them. They are all adorable people and they mean the best for everyone. But the problem lies in me being a 22 year old Keralite girl who has just finished her studies. You see, that kind of a person is the exact prey for all these auntyji types in the wedding to explore their matchmaking skills with the girl in question and the auntyji's neighbor's mother-in-law's brother's daughter's son... You get the drift, right? Its annoying, to the say the least and it also puts unwanted ideas into ur folks minds. Dangerous, I tell you. Very dangerous.
You see, once they do happen to get such ideas in their head, (presuming it wasn't already there in the first place) they'd want to to go ahead, find the 'perfect' match for their daughter and get it finished off as soon as possible. Looking at it from their point of view, I guess its entirely right. But still!!!!!!
Our retorts which may go like "I'm not ready yet!" would mostly earn a reply like, "Your 22. Whaddaya mean ur not ready yet?!? Girls these days!! Your g'mom got married when she was 15 and had her first kid when she was 16. In our culture, girls have to get married before they reach a certain age or they are never going to find a good match and blah blah blah....". If you are a Keralite girl, I'm sure you know the rest.
To lower the percentage of such interactions, I'd say its best to stay away from our khaandan weddings. But, of course, that cannot be helped either. If you do manage to say something like,
"Do we HAVE to go for the wedding? Its a lot of people. I'm sure they won't notice we're not around", and voila, we're definitely in for another round of wisdom-sharing which might go something like this. "Not go for the wedding? Are you out of your mind? and blah blah blah..."
Here we go again!! :|
No comments:
Post a Comment